Date:      Thu, 5 Feb 2004 14:02:27 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rc.d/gbde_swap problem

--huq684BweRXVnRxX

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 10:40:54PM +0100, Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav wrote:
> Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net> writes:
> > I'm doing to backing on the rc.d scripts to try and cleanup diskless
> > booting and I noticed a problem with gbde_swap.  It has a dependency on
> > random which depends on mountcritlocal which depends on disks which
> > gbde_swap provides thus creating a circular dependency.  I think
> > gbde_swap it too early do depend on random and should instead depend on
> > initrandom.  Users who need high-quality saved entropy this early will
> > just have to be sure they set entropy_file to a location that is
> > reachable early in the process so initrandom can use it.
>=20
> fixed, thanks.

Thanks.  It did occure to me last night that we do have another decent
source of entropy at this point: the geom swap partitions themselves.
If we just dd'd a small portion of the disk after an appropriate offset
to avoid any metadata (is there any, I can't remember), we'd at least
have something no worse then the ps, etc output we use as a default.

-- Brooks

--=20

--huq684BweRXVnRxX

--huq684BweRXVnRxX--