Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 1995 22:32:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      bmk@dtr.com
To:        mcw@hpato.aus.hp.com (M C Wong)
Cc:        mcw@hpato.aus.hp.com, wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu, freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: shared IP address ?

> >  FreeBSD                                          Annex router
> >  +-----+                                         +-----+
> >  |     |-- modem --- ............. --- modem ----|     |
> >  +-----+ ^                                     ^ +-----+
> >          |                                     |
> >  /dev/tty0, sl0, 203.13.47.32            unspecified
> >

> > and I was told to do the following :
> >
> > 1. connect to the remote modem
> > 2. ifconfig sl0 inet up 203.13.47.32 netmask 255.255.255.0
> >    Yes, he said it over 10 times or so, this is *NOT* a point-to-point link,
> >    and I *MUST* leave the destination IP address out. However, I believe on
> >    1.* FreeBSD, sl* are configured to be point-to-point interface even without
> >    specifying destination IP address (as seen from ifconfig sl0 command) ?

He's wrong.  Dialup IP ports on an Annex have both local and remote IP
addresses.  203.13.47.32 is the remote, you also need the local to
ifconfig the sl0 device.

He's sadly mistaken if he thinks it's not a point-to-point link.

Ask him to do a 'show port=X' (where X is the port you are logging in
on) using the admin function on the annex.  Ask him what the values for
slip_local_address and slip_remote_address are.  If these aren't unique,
and not 0.0.0.0, run, don't walk, to another provider.

> > 3. route add default 203.13.47.32
> >
> > Many thanks in advance.
> >

> Ok with follow up to my own message, I want to know can the above Annex
> setup be considered a dial-up router ?

In a manner of speaking, yes.