Date:      Tue, 29 May 2012 14:36:21 -0700
From:      Sean Bruno <seanbru@yahoo-inc.com>
To:        Dag-Erling =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        "net@freebsd.org" <net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 10 Gbps NIC selection

On Tue, 2012-05-29 at 03:20 -0700, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Given the choice between the following adapters:

Here's my list of "stuff and things", I hope this is helpful

>   Broadcom 5720
Haven't gotten this one working on the Dell R series I'm testing
(thought this was a 1G chipset)

>   Broadcom 5719
Thought this was a 1G?

>   Broadcom 57800
>   Broadcom 57810
If these are 10G E cards, the would need to be added to bxe(4) which it
doesn't appear they are?  I know I haven't used them.

>   Intel i350
>   Intel x520
>   Intel X540

The X540T appears to be supported via ixgbe(4) ... no testing from my
side on this one unfortuneately, but Jack is pretty active and probably
knows the current level of support.  Mailing list activity seems to
indicate that Intel 10GE is more likely to "just work" if I'm not
mistaken.

with my "purple" hat on, we pretty much swear by Intel 10G AFAIK.

Sean