Date:      Sat, 1 Dec 2001 14:01:13 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Zwane Mwaikambo <zwane@linux.realnet.co.sz>
To:        <sos@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   SiS 5591/3.2G FreeBSD 4.4-REL geometry problems.

Hi,
	I've been trying to install FreeBSD 4.x on a box on of mine to no
avail. Essentially its a drive geometry problem (Seagate 3.2G), FreeBSD
"guesses" 6296/16/63 (which the BIOS (AMI) POST states it as as well, LBA
enabled) but i end up being unable to mkfs filesystems (access beyond
device). Linux detects the drive geometry as thus; 787/128/63 and i can
use the whole disk with no problems. I've tried this geometry with the
FreeBSD installer but get the same problem as before.

I've gone as far as installing the disk on another machine and installing
FreeBSD like that and have tried both geometries. But when i get to
putting the disk into its target machine, it fails to boot after a reboot
(scribbles all over the disk). So far i've tried the following with no
luck.

LBA in BIOS and 787/128/63
LBA in BIOS and 6296/16/63
no LBA in BIOS and 787/128/63
no LBA in BIOS and 6296/128/63

The drive manufacturer has 6296/128/63 on the drive.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I currently boot with a
small drive (1.2G) and the 3.2 on the secondary channel with
(6296/16/63 and LBA)

Regards,
	Zwane Mwaikambo

Note. I have the same problems with NetBSD 1.5