Date:      Fri, 30 Apr 1999 20:07:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        Theodore Hope <freebsd@iguana.internexo.co.cr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.1 on Compaq Presario 2284 ?

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Theodore Hope wrote:

> I'd like to put 3.1-Release on a Compaq Presario 2284 (desktop).
>
> The box I have available currently has windoze98 and I can't yet
> trash it, but nevertheless I got 3.1-Release to floppy boot, get
> past the device probe phase and give me the install menu.
> (As long as I'm on this, how can I quit from the install menu
> and get a the "dmesg" output, such that I can verify the devices
> that were recognized and config'd during boot?)

hit scroll-lock (i'm hoping compaq still has a "scroll-lock" key and
hasn't replaced it with a "browse the net" key) :)

you can then page-up/down and see the boot messages.

his scroll lock again to get out of it.

> My question is, is anyone running 3.1 on this kind of Compaq; any
> strange things to worry about?   A few months ago we installed 2.2.7 on
> a larger Compaq (can't remember the model but it's a 300 MHz Pentium II)
> and were never able to get 2.2.7 to recognize more than 16 MB RAM (that
> box has 64 MB).

this has always been fixable by setting a kernel parameter and recompiling.

> The Presario 2284 has a Digital 21143-based 10/100 Ethernet (recognized
> correctly as "de0" during floppy boot) and a built-in sound card
> that windoze reports as "ES 1869".  Is this sound card supported
> by 3.1 ?

I've had luck getting ESS cards working in 3.1, it should work,
you may have to play with the "pnp" commands in the kernel
config screen and of course compile pcm and pnp into your kernel.

-Alfred