Date:      Sun, 04 Apr 1999 21:36:05 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Motonori Shindo <mshindo@ascend.co.jp>
Cc:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Luigi's driver, AOpen AW37, and me.

Motonori Shindo writes:
> Hi,
>
> I've just bought an AOpen's AW37Pro(CS4235). I wished I could have
> bought a CS4326/4327-based card but this was the only card I could
> find that seemed to be closest to CS4236/4237. :-)
>
> The card is detected by the kernel and it plays a sound but with
> tremendous amount of noise. This would be exactly the same as what
> David is experiencing. Is there any progress as to fix this problem?
> Given this situation, what is most likely the cause of this problem?
> It would be great if anyone gives me a hint so that I can start
> tracking down the problem by reading a data sheet of CS4235.

Believe others have reported the -Pro worked. I have the not-Pro. The
Pro uses the CS4237 while mine uses a CX4235-XQ3 EP (this is the first
time I bothered to read the exact numbers off the chip).

The reason I was able just now to read the numbers directly off the chip
is the AOpen card is out, a $14 Yamaha 714 card is in, and FreeBSD now
makes recognizable noises. But when not making those noises it cranks
out static from internal noises in the cheap card and computer power
supply.

Have cleaned up things here so I don't have my printed copies of the
Crystal Semiconductor manuals handy where my notes are. Suspected
several things. One is a calibration proceedure spec'ed by CS. At first
I thought the PCM driver didn't implement it. Then I found code
resembling what was spec'ed, almost. I don't believe it was doing what
the CS book said needed done even if it was really trying to calibrate
rather then the quickie no-calibrate initialization. I hacked in a
replacement, which did no good either.

Another thing I worried about is whether bytes were being written in the
right order. Or the CODEC on the card was not initialized correctly.
Didn't seem to matter much if files were pushed thru /dev/audio or
/dev/dsp, they both sounded the same.

Don't remember if I had a mic to try "cat < /dev/audio > /dev/audio".

With that in mind my next planned attack was to take a signal generator
and capture a known sine and square wave input, and examine the raw
data captured. Also to output known sine and square wave output and
view on my DSO. For several reasons, never got around to it. Not the
least of the reasons is this place is too much of a mess to get the DSO
and signal generators near the computer.