Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2000 10:55:21 -0700
From:      W Gerald Hicks <jhix@mindspring.com>
To:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gimme FreeBSD anyday!

> > Second step?  Get Bristol or one of the other Win32 -> Unix portability
> > companies to support FreeBSD.
> >

> That only applies for things moving off win32 to also supporting unix, not
> to the old fish that already do support unix.

Not exactly.  There are quite a few products out there which currently
use these toolsets as the basis of their Unix support.  Wind River's
Tornado is one, there are quite few more I've encountered under Solaris.

It seems to be a trend, for better or worse.  I've had more than one
vendor cite the lack of these toolsets for FreeBSD as a factor limiting
their support.

> For the other's, it's supporting standdards, having Motif/CDE/whatever
> toolkit available and standard supported easily is the key.

I'd argue that Motif/CDE has done more to harm the Unix marketplace
than anything else, not counting Windows (but that's another troll  :-)

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks