Date:      Tue, 30 Oct 2012 08:50:01 -0700
From:      Dennis Glatting <freebsd@penx.com>
To:        Paul Wootton <paul-freebsd@fletchermoorland.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS RaidZ-2 problems

On Tue, 2012-10-30 at 14:37 +0000, Paul Wootton wrote:
> On 10/30/12 12:04, Dennis Glatting wrote:
> > I've had this problem too. Here is what I can tell you for my case.
> > ... I replaced the card, the cable, and the disks themselves leaving
> > only one other possibility -- the power supply. The faulting array was
> > on a separate cable from the power supply. I replaced the power
> > supply, going from a 1,000W to 1,300W, and the power cables to the
> > disks. Not a problem since.
>
> While I can accept that I might have a bad power supply. or cables, my
> main concern is that I have only 1 drive showing as "Unavail" on a
> RAIDZ-2 and the pack is showing "Faulted".
> I would have expected that pack to continue working with 2 bad drives,
> and would have failed if I had 3rd one fail

I have successfully upgraded arrays by replacing disks in a RAIDz and
RAIDz2 array one at a time, so I know for certain one disk failures work
as expected. I tried replacing two at once in a RAIDz2 array but it did
not succeed; however it was also the array with the bad power supply.
That said, it certainly tried to rebuild the array.