Date:      Sat, 02 Dec 1995 10:13:36 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: No Thumbs??? (lack of concensus)

Hi,

>single *half* height or single *full* height?

single, specifically I like the JDR Microdevices's ED-150 for 3.5" apps.  It
is well made mechanically, all metal except for the faceplate.  The fan in this
box is crap, unfortunately.

>> used for things like tape drives).  In its place I put a foam filter to
catch
>> dust.  This allows airflow directly across the top of the drive.  I also
>
>Hmmm... that's a good idea (tho' not quite as visually appealing! :>)

Actually it looks like factory made if you take your time.  With the above
mentioned box I remove the top-third faceplate blockout and cut a piece of
open-cell black foam slightly larger, which pops right in place from the back.
Looks like what nature intended from the front.

>> get a GOOD fan from someplace like Digikey.  Panasonic makes a line of
>> ball-beaing fans with much higher rated air-flows that the ones typically
>> found in disk cabinents.  The oem fans also usually die in short order,
which

>And *another* good idea!  I'll have to examine the fans on these cabinets
>a bit more closely...

I don't recall ever seeing a quality fan in such boxes.  The specs on the
panasonic fan I usually use:

ball-bearing, 2.40 watts, 6.7 cfm, 32.0 db-A (digikey part# P9703-ND)

>I was looking to put *two* 3243's in a fullheight external enclosure.
>Or, a single 1991.  But, same problems (I imagine) would plague each...

I recommend 2 3243's in 2 half-height boxes.  They stack in about the same
space
as a double height box and give you alot more flexibility.  Put a root
partition on both, you get some crash recover benefits.  You also can do some
load balancing and get better scsi thruput.  Get a couple scsi-I ribbon cable
connectors and build a 3" connector to attach the 2 boxes, no bulky 3 foot
cable dangling between the two.  One thing to consider, I have seen
combinations
of external boxes that became unhappy with mixed flat and round cables.
Something to do with impedance mis-match.  Remember that each box has approx.
8-12" of flat cable inside, so if you string together 3 or 4 boxes with
round cables there are a lot of impedance changes happening.  I like to build
flat cables to connect all the boxes in a chain, including the link between
computer and 1st box.

>your intended application?  :>   Maybe just put a warning light and then
>hardwire a circuit to (unceremoniously) remove power from the drive at
hi-temp.

I have wondered about this.  At what temperature is it better to  clobber the
file system and spare the drive a few minutes more of over-temp condition?
I suspect most modern drives will shut down when they get TOO hot.   The
problem
is a drive that runs borderline for long periods of time, degrading its
lifetime.  I guess that reaching the warning (yellow) temp means orderly
shutdown, if red is reached while program is still running just cut the power.

>How warm does the 3243 case get (use *top* side of finger to test).

If you mean the cabinent it is in, top of finger, wrist, big toe,
it feels maybe 5 deg above room temp to me.  If I can find an appropriate
thermometer around here I will get an actual measurement.

If you mean the 3243 drive itself, I don't know offhand, not eager to open up
a cabinent to find out right now...

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD