Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 1997 16:21:47 +0100
From:      Lars Hansson <pingo@comports.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   hosts doesnt resolve....

Installed Samba yesterday on my machine and noticed something interesting....
When trying to start smbd and nmbd they both complain that they cant "GetHostbyname...." (or something similar) and then exits.
Further investigations reveals that nslookup doesnt resolve *anything*, not the entries in /etc/hosts, not even localhost! (Says it tries to connect to nameserver at 0.0.0.0)
However, "ftp hostname" or "ping hostname" works (for hosts in /etc/hosts). This is very puzzling to me. What going on here? Why does ftp resolve and nslookup doesnt? I thought nslookup used /etc/hosts if it couldnt find a nameserver?

Lars
Lars Hansson
pingo@comports.com
S0ulbender on Dalnet
ICQ: 396561

"If I can't read I'm a dead man" Lemmy Kilmister