Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 1999 11:07:10 -0600
From:      Dan Mayne <DMayne@cortelcosystems.com>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Custom Install

I just bought The Complete FreeBSD, which contained a copy of FreeBSD 2.2.7.

I tried to do a custom install where I installed everything but the OS
source.
The install was done on with all the default partitioning selected.
FreeBSD was the only OS on the disk.

Everything looked good until the end, but when I rebooted, I found that
there was no kernel written to the disk.

I tried this 3 mroe times (selecting different components each time) with
the same results.

If I install using one of the predefined install sets (User, Developer,
X-Developer, etc.) the install works fine and the kernel gets written to the
disk.

Is this a problem, am I doing something wrong, or is the Custom install
option only for adding components to an existing installation?

Thanks,

Dan Mayne

dan_mayne@bigfoot.com