Date:      Sat, 25 May 1996 09:28:44 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The view from here (was Re: ISDN Compression Load on CPU)

> : Some obvious modifications would be:
> :   - Use the serial port as console
> :   - Make the lack of keyboard and video a non-error
>
> I'd love to see something like that.  Would save me $20/machine that I
> press into router service :-).

Most motherboard/BIOS combinations allow that nowadays. I have a lot of
machines (PC's) that don't have a keyboard, screencard and screen. I
manage them through the serial port or through the network. I only
need a screen and keyboard if the CMOS setup has to change and that is
normally only in the beginning.

I use bootblocks that is a little modified to actually fail if their is
no keyboard which is getting closer lately with the addition of the
PROBE_KEYBOARD option.

The other change that I make is to modify the probe routine of syscons
to fail if there is no keyboard. Otherwise the system panic when it tries
to do bcopy's to a nonexistant screencard.

These two changes allow me to put a screen and keyboard into a sick machine
and it will then use that and not the serial port anymore.

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@mikom.csir.co.za