Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 09:53:11 -0700
From:      Local list <maillist@xinetron.com>
To:        Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Secure code..

Stephen Roome wrote:

> I'm working on a product here that runs on a FreeBSD
> system. It comes on a
> pre-installed box and the code shouldn't be accessible to
> anyone but us.
>
> Some of the code is written in C, and there's no source
> code kept on the
> computer, so that is safe. Some of it is written in perl,
> so if they get
> in then they can have that and any of the private
> information stored on
> the computer.
>
> If we sell these boxes to someone with secure consoles and
> no login
> accounts then it's pretty unlikely they are going to do
> much to get at
> private information. However if someone takes the hard
> disc out and
> decides to try and read it what precautions can be taken
> to stop them
> getting at the data.
>
> (I guess this is something someone has covered before?)

The Perl Compiler, (yes, Virginia, you can compile to C) by
Malcolm Beattie is available in     alpha-3 release. This is
still considered experimental, but is definitely firming up.
See also his
     first announcement about it for details. Please read
the relevant FAQs about what it is and
     what it is not.

http://language.perl.com/info/software.html

The compiler works, but since is in alpha, you must be very
careful.  Avoid large number ( >0x80000000 ) calculation.  I
tried it with 5.003 and it worked for me.  With 5.004, for
some reason a subroutine ( function) doesn't handle the flow
back to the main program.

-- Jason