Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 1995 10:09:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      "William A. Arbaugh" <waa@aurora.cis.upenn.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Making boot floppies with latest SNAP?

I'm trying to make a boot floppy with the latest SNAP (0322) and I get
the following error from newfs:

newfs -c 80 -b 4096 -f 512 -i 9000 -m 0 -o space -T fd1440  /dev/rfd0
Warning: calculated sectors per cylinder (4096) disagrees with disk label
(36)
Block size and bytes per inode restrict cylinders per group to 6.

(NOTE: This happens with or without EVIL_FLOPPY defined)

I've tried other values for the cylinders/group but it leaves unused
space which is needed (obviously).

Any ideas on what the need magic is?

I'm doing this in order to debug an installation problem.  On two of my
machines (laptop and a desktop), both get an "INVALID FORMAT" error when
trying to load the kernel.  Both ran NetBSD fine...until yesterday :-).

Bill Arbaugh
email:  waa@aurora.cis.upenn.edu
office: Moore 102
phone:  (215) 573-3639