Date:      Tue, 17 Jun 1997 10:48:06 +0100
From:      Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        James FitzGibbon <james@nexis.net>, Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: port of ripe's extended whois client.

On Sun, Jun 15, 1997 at 10:10:05AM +0200, J Wunsch wrote:
> As James FitzGibbon wrote:
>
> > Nope, that's the referral whois server (distributed whois) that I did last
> > week.  RIPE whois is (from what I understand) a whois server that queries
> > the RIPE database (European registrar, right ?)
>
> Curious, is this just the same as typing ``whois -h whois.ripe.net''?
> In this case, it would be a little silly to have an extra program for
> it.

Of course it would be ;).  The ripe version includes extra flags.
>From ripewhois -h...

Joe

-a                         search all databases
-F                         fast raw output
-h hostname                search alternate server
-i [attr][[,attr] ... ]    do an inverse lookup for specified attributes
-L                         find all Less specific matches
-m                         find first level more specific matches
-M                         find all More specific matches
-p port                    port to connect to
-r                         turn off recursive lookups
-s source[[,source] ... ]  search databases with source 'source'
-S                         tell server to leave out 'syntactic sugar'
-t type                    requests template for object of type 'type'
-v type                    requests verbose template for object of type 'type'
-T type[[,type] ... ]      only look for objects of type 'type'

Please note that most of these flags are NOT understood by
non RIPE whois servers

Josef Karthauser
Technical Manager       Email: joe@pavilion.net
Pavilion Internet plc.  [Tel: +44 1273 607072  Fax: +44 1273 607073]