Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 2024 20:07:00 +0400
From:      Antranig Vartanian <antranigv@freebsd.am>
To:        "freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org" <freebsd-virtualization@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org>, "freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   if_ixl: Admin Queue memory allocation issue hangs the server

Greetings y=E2=80=99all,

We have a massive server with two IXL NICs (Ethernet Controller X710 for =
10GBASE-T). One of them is on the host and the other is passed to a =
guest running in a bhyve VM.

Every once in a while, the system hangs. We cannot SSH, we cannot ping =
nor we can login using console (IPMI remote screen).

However, on the console, I see the following messages:

"ixl0: ixl_process_adminq: Unable to allocate memory for Admin Queue =
event!=E2=80=9D

And it keeps repeating.

The only way to get access to the host is to=E2=80=A6 reboot it.

We don=E2=80=99t use SR-IOV (although when we did, the same thing =
happened), we don=E2=80=99t use large MTUs (1500) nor we have a memory =
issue (the system has 2TB of RAM, and right before hanging around 250G =
is available).

Any tip would be appreciated.

P.S. we also tried the kmod from ports, still seeing the same issue.

Kind regards,

=E2=80=94
Antranig Vartanian
https://antranigv.am/