Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2001 22:00:05 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Christopher Farley" <chris@northernbrewer.com>, "Graywane" <graywane@home.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: does upsd support BACK-UPS from APC

upsd is only supposed to support the SmartUPS, NOT the BackUPS which uses
different signalling protocol.  But, I've had this happen on smartups
and it's annoying too - I expect it's some setting that's wrong.

>It is not clear from the ports description, but I've been told that upsd
>is hard-coded to work with European 220v rather than US 120v power.

Yes, this is true.  I have a link on my book website to a version modified
by
Doug White to work with American power levels.

>/usr/ports/sysutils/bkupsd works for me.

This is what I use because the server I run this on is behind an APC
switcher that
doesen't pass the smartups protocol, just simple signalling.