Date:      Tue, 22 Mar 2022 02:56:56 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net>
Cc:        "bapt@freebsd.org" <bapt@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Toolchain <freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: An idea for a pkg option

On 2022-Mar-22, at 02:34, Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net> wrote:

> 22.03.2022 16:28, Mark Millard wrote:
>=20
>> So it might look something like:
>>=20
>> # pkg install --available-ones-of `cat ~/origins/CA72-pkgs.txt`
>> Updating custom repository catalogue...
>> custom repository is up to date.
>> All repositories are up to date.
>> pkg: No packages available to install matching 'macchiatobin-edk2' =
have been found in the repositories
>> pkg: No packages available to install matching 'rpi3-edk2' have been =
found in the repositories
>> pkg: No packages available to install matching 'rpi4-edk2' have been =
found in the repositories
>> Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
>> The following 1 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):
>>=20
>> New packages to be INSTALLED:
>> 	llvm14: 14.0.0.r4
>>=20
>> Number of packages to be installed: 1
>>=20
>> The process will require 864 MiB more space.
>>=20
>> Proceed with this action? [y/N]: y
>> [1/1] Installing llvm14-14.0.0.r4...
>> [1/1] Extracting llvm14-14.0.0.r4: 100%
>=20
> Use: pkg install -yU *.pkg

There may well be packages around that I do not
want installed unless pulled in as a dependency
of something that I do want. So a general wild
card is not what I'm after.

For my explicit list of what to try to install
(in the file) your command does not work for
my purpose/goal:

# pkg install -yU `cat ~/origins/amd64-pkgs.txt`
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'rpi4-edk2' have been =
found in the repositories
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'rpi4-edk2' have been =
found in the repositories

Without the two missing packages being listed in
the file, your command does:

# pkg install -yU `cat ~/origins/amd64-pkgs.txt`
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
The following 1 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):

New packages to be INSTALLED:
	llvm14: 14.0.0.r4

Number of packages to be installed: 1

The process will require 1 GiB more space.
[1/1] Installing llvm14-14.0.0.r4...
[1/1] Extracting llvm14-14.0.0.r4: 100%

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard