Date:      Wed, 27 Jun 2012 18:59:45 -0500
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        "Simon J. Gerraty" <sjg@juniper.net>
Cc:        Tim Kientzle <tim@kientzle.com>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav <des@des.no>
Subject:   Re: Allow user install

--yRA+Bmk8aPhU85Qt

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 09:16:05AM -0700, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:
>=20
> On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 08:18:05 -0700, Tim Kientzle writes:
> >Better idea:  have the build write a textual description of the
> >tar entries.  That description can then be fed to tar to build
> >the actual tarball.
>=20
> Yes, that's what we do - manifest files that tar and other tools use to
> produce the install images.
>=20
> >The description format that tar already supports is a variant
> >mtree format borrowed from NetBSD.  Each line specifies
> >the tar entry fields (filename, owner, permissions, etc) and
> >the filename where the file contents are stored.
>=20
> Yes, we've added that support to makefs - I believe it is already in
> -current.  There's still quite a bit to do.

It's there except that makefs uses the FreeBSD mtree code which doesn't
support the crucial absolute path support in NetBSD's mtree.  I took a
look at what's required to bring that in a week or two ago.  We need to
bring in a number of new or improved functions in libc and we'll have to
kill or rename FreeBSD's -i options, but it looks doable.  Not a two
hour project, but doable and worthwhile.  Once I get the demo I 'm
currently working on out the door I'm planning to start work to bring in
NetBSD's mtree and either the related install changes or NetBSD's
install.  If someone else wants to start the process that would also be
fine with me.  My notes on the issues are below if anyone cares.

-- Brooks

FreeBSD Features not in NetBSD:
-i (indent output) conflicts with:
     -i                 If specified, set the schg and/or sappnd flags.

-n (Don't emit name)

-q (Quiet mode)

-w    Make some errors non-fatal warnings

Missing keywords:
ripemd160digest seems to be spelled rmd160(digest)

nochange missing

Missing library features:
flags_to_string()
string_to_flags(char **, unsigned long *, unsigned long *);
strsvis()
pwcache_userdb()
pwcache_groupdb()
gid_from_group()