Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 1995 19:52:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>
To:        nate@rocky.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freefall.FreeBSD.org, FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD-hackers)
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on laptop

> pechter@shell.monmouth.com writes:
> > Just wanted to announce that FreeBSD 2.0.5-release runs unmodified on a
> > ThinkPad 365.  I'm hacking in the IDE CD support to work out the
> > installation of additional tools.
>
> Does that mean you didn't even have to mess with the console drivers?
>

> Nate

Absolutely.  This is a different chipset than the 755/760/701 and 350/360
series.  It's a  chips & techologies video set.  I don't know about the
keyboard controller.  Seems pretty standard.  Uses a Phoenix 1.03 bios
rev with a Cyrix (according to FreeBSD's probe) 486DLC (I think it was a
DLC).

Consider the 365 a FreeBSD success story -- Linux can't seem to handle it.

Step 1. Rawrite floppy.
Step 2. Copy dists/bin to /FreeBSD/bin on the dos partition.
Step 3. Boot.
Step 4. Install minimum 2.05 system.
Step 5. Add the wdc atapi support from /incoming.
Step 6. Build new kernel (still working on getting this working with APM
        psm -- however WCD support works now...)
Step 7. Still working on getting X11 up.

Bill
 Bill Pechter/Carolyn Pechter        | The postmaster always pings twice.
 Lakewood MicroSystems               | 17 Meredith Drive,
 908-389-3592                        | Tinton Falls, NJ 07724
 pechter@shell.monmouth.com          |