Date:      Fri, 26 May 2006 13:01:50 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        jkim@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-openoffice@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why only for i386

In message: <200605261406.49753.jkim@FreeBSD.org>
            Jung-uk Kim <jkim@FreeBSD.org> writes:
: On Friday 26 May 2006 12:30 pm, M. Warner Losh wrote:
: > In message: <200605261225.36548.jkim@FreeBSD.org>
: >
: >             Jung-uk Kim <jkim@FreeBSD.org> writes:
: > : On Friday 26 May 2006 09:59 am, Bartosz Fabianowski wrote:
: > : > > what's the reason for marking all the open office ports as
: > : > > only for i386?
: > : >
: > : > Simply because OpenOffice.org works only on i386 at present.
: > :
: > : Yup.  And I am working on amd64 porting for your brand new
: > : Turion64 laptop and my poor old Athlon64 laptop. ;-)
: >
: > How difficult is that being for you?
:
: Most of the machine dependent code is already done by Linux people.  I
: am just bridging MD code with FreeBSD now.  It is mostly working but
: it has some rough edges.  Most difficulty is build-test-rebuild cycle
: because of my poor laptop is not so fast, CPU, memory and disk.
: OpenOffice.org source is about 300MB, (gzip'd tarball).  It is so big
: because this tarball includes third-party software tarballs (e.g.,
: Python, BerkeleyDB, boost, etc.) and local patches for OOo.
: Unfortunately some third-party packages are not patched for
: FreeBSD/amd64.  In that case, I am referencing FreeBSD ports to fix
: them.

I have a fast build box or two I can provide you access with, if that
would help.  I can also test things if you'd like.

Warner