Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 09:22:48 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Jeff Aitken <jaitken@aitken.com>
Cc:        max@ukonline.net (Max Booth), freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: inetd problems

In message <199904121612.MAA01726@eagle.aitken.com>, Jeff Aitken
writes:
> Max Booth writes:
> > Escape character is '^]'.
> > inetd in realloc(): warning: junk pointer, too low to make sense.
> > inetd in free(): warning: junk pointer, too low to make sense.
> > Connection closed by foreign host.
>

> I've seen this before, on a 2.2.6 system.  IIRC, the answer from
> Jordan was that there was a subtle but in inetd (or triggered by
> inetd) which caused this sort of memory problem.  I don't recall
> whether killing and restarting inetd was enough to "fix" it or if
> it required a reboot.
>
> I'm fairly certain that it didn't represent a security problem.

This is what I originally did to circumvent the problem.  Please
don't laugh., it's low tech.

In cron:

*/10 * * * * /usr/local/sbin/checkinetd

In services:

ckinetd         4321/tcp        # checkinetd

In inetd.conf:

ckinetd stream  tcp     nowait  nobody  /bin/echo       echo 220

Install the netcat port.

checkinetd:

#!/bin/sh -
case `/usr/local/bin/nc localhost ckinetd` in
220)
        ;;
*)      cd /
        INETD_PID=`/bin/cat /var/run/inetd.pid`
        /usr/bin/logger -p daemon.error inetd junk pointers,
killing and restarting inetd PID $INETD_PID
        /bin/kill $INETD_PID
        /bin/sleep 3
        /usr/sbin/inetd
        /bin/sleep 1
        /usr/bin/logger -p daemon.notice inetd junk pointers,
restarted inetd PID `/bin/cat /var/run/inetd.pid`
        ;;
esac

Open Systems Group          Internet:  Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca
ITSD                                   Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca