Date:      Mon, 20 Oct 1997 16:56:52 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
To:        Neil Ludban <n-ludban@onu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: NCR 53c875j support?

On Monday, 20th October 1997, Neil Ludban wrote:

>I'm trying to get FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE to recognize a Diamond FirePort40
>SCSI adapter, which uses the NCR 53c875j chip.

The 53c875j has a different ID than the 53c875.  If you add that ID to the
appropriate switch statements in sys/pci/ncr.c, you'll be fine, assuming you
have some other way to do a 2.2.2 install.  The latest code has these defines:

    #define NCR_875_ID      (0x000f1000ul)
    #define NCR_875_ID2     (0x008f1000ul)

so you should be able to work this out from that.

Alternatively, an improved ncr driver (supporting the 875j and 875 at full
speed) is part of the very-soon-to-be-released 2.2.5.  So, you could wait
a few days and install 2.2.5-release, or install a beta version right now.

>A possibly related problem is that having both SCSI cards installed at
>once, or the Asus with a PCI NIC (ed2, RealTek 8029) causes the boot to
>hang after the imasks line.  The next thing should have been the BIOS
>disk geometries.  FWIW, the geometry of the SCSI disk is correct for
>either controller.

I don't know what is happening here.  Perhaps 2.2.5 will help here also.

Stephen.