Date:      Sun, 29 Mar 2015 00:58:27 +0100
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        Chris Newman <bsdhat@gmail.com>, Michael Butler <imb@protected-networks.net>
Cc:        vbox@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Error running VirtualBox 4.3.20_4 on PC-BSD 10.0

Chris Newman wrote on 03/29/2015 00:18:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your quick response. I've tried upgrading to 10.1, but I'm
> getting an error message.  There are a couple of issues:
> 1) I'm content to just rebuild curl if that's what it takes to get
> VirtualBox going, but how should I do that? I've been using the App Cafe
> whenever I install any new apps. When I check there I see that curl is
> installed, but I don't see any mechanism to rebuild it. Should I update
> my ports collection and rebuild it from ports? Will this conflict with
> the PBI?
>
> 2) When I try to upgrade to the 10.1, I'm getting the error pasted in
> below. I've tried several times and googled for answers but I'm not
> finding a solution. Can you point me in the right direction?
>
> Thanks in advance for your advice.
>
> cn
>
> pc-updatemanager install fbsd-10.1-RELEASE
> Updating the package repo database...
> Cleaning old pkg upgrade cache...
> Fetching packages for ports-mgmt/pkg - pkg-1.4.4.txz
> Fetching packages for misc/pcbsd-base - pcbsd-base-1423270278.txz
> Fetching packages for archivers/unzip - unzip-6.0_3.txz
> Fetching packages for editors/libreoffice - libreoffice-4.3.5_2.txz
> Fetching packages for emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod -
> virtualbox-ose-kmod-4.3.20_2.txz
> Fetching packages for games/kdegames4 - kdegames-4.14.2.txz
> Fetching packages for mail/ssmtp - ssmtp-2.64_1.txz
> Fetching packages for misc/pcbsd-meta-kde - pcbsd-meta-kde-1417452248.txz
> Fetching packages for misc/pcbsd-meta-nvidia -
> pcbsd-meta-nvidia-1366133527.txz
> Fetching packages for ports-mgmt/dialog4ports - dialog4ports-0.1.5_2.txz
> Fetching packages for print/foomatic-db-hpijs - foomatic-db-hpijs-1.4.txz
> Fetching packages for security/keychain - keychain-2.7.1.txz
> Fetching packages for security/vpnc - vpnc-0.5.3_10.txz
> Fetching packages for www/chromium - chromium-39.0.2171.95_3.txz
> Fetching packages for www/firefox - firefox-35.0,1.txz
> Fetching packages for x11/lumina - lumina-0.8.1.1421890927,1.txz
> Creating stage BE...
> Pruning old boot-environments...
> GRUB configuration updated successfully
> Destroyed successfully
> Mounting the stage BE...
> Mounted successfully on '/.updateStage'
> Preparing the new boot-environment... (This may take a while)
> Looking up fbsd-update.pcbsd.org <http://fbsd-update.pcbsd.org>;
> mirrors... none found.
> Fetching metadata signature for 10.0-RELEASE from
> fbsd-update.pcbsd.org... done.
> Fetching metadata index... done.
> Fetching 1 metadata files... done.
> Inspecting system... done.
>
> The following components of FreeBSD seem to be installed:
> kernel/generic world/base world/doc world/games world/lib32
>
> The following components of FreeBSD do not seem to be installed:
>

> Fetching metadata signature for 10.1-RELEASE from
> fbsd-update.pcbsd.org... done.
> Fetching metadata index... done.
> Fetching 1 metadata patches. done.
> [...]

It will be better to report PC-BSD porblems and bugs on
https://bugs.pcbsd.org/projects/pcbsd/issues

Or you can read or ask some questions on PC-BSD forum
https://forums.pcbsd.org/ because it seems to be PC-BSD specific problem.

Of course, you can try to (re)build any PC-BSD package form ports, for
example, if you need to change some compile time options. But then you
need to have /usr/ports of the same "version" as from what is PC-BSD
packages built and not the one from FreeBSD, because FreeBSD ports tree
is ahead and contains different versions of applications and by mixing
it, you can have some problems with dependencies etc.

PC-BSD is not using PBI format of packages any more. It is using the
same pkg format as FreeBSD.

Miroslav Lachman