Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2000 10:29:52 -0700
From:      "Duke Normandin" <01031149@3web.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Networking Diagram

Still trying to learning & swearing :-))

So this newbie reads posts about:

ipfw | inetd | named | ifconfig | natd | bind | routed .... ad nauseum

and the applicable:

rc.conf | resolv.conf | etc | etc | etc ..... ad multum nauseum

It's been said ... even before the computer age ;^) ... that a picture (diagram)
is worth a 1000 words.

Do any of you "networking literate" guys know of a web resource that would put
all of the above in a diagram form, explaining *when* to use *what* and
*how* ----> under *various* (read most probable/common) scenarios - e.g., a
firewall/gateway box w/ a single FBSD W/S hung off of it; ditto, but with a
single win9x W/S; a single FBSD box working as a W/S -- is there a way to
protect *it*? .

Let me put it this way:

It's difficult to learn how to play soccer if the student has never *seen* a
soccer field, its layout and paraphenalia. Advanced soccer theory will be
meaningless unless and until the student is introduced to the "big picture".

So, in your experience and web "travels", does such a learning resource exist
with respect to various BSD OSs that use the above tools?

I have already found a great resource on Ethernet hardware -- it's invention and
function. It, of course, only "zooms-in" on the above-mentioned "big-picture".
Very useful, though! I realize that there are plenty of books out there -- not
what *I need* at the moment. TIA....

-duke