Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 2002 17:21:11 +1200 (NZST)
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@scoop.co.nz>
To:        "David G . Andersen" <danderse@cs.utah.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Jail with one IP?

What I do is to alias extra IP's to the loopback interface.  ie my
ifconfig output looks something like this:

lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
        inet 127.0.0.2 netmask 0xff000000
        inet 127.0.0.3 netmask 0xff000000

I then use those IP's for jails.  I pass packets on with ipfw
forwarding rules and via proxies on the externally available IP.  Eg you
can use this approach to set up a bunch of jailed apache servers and pass
connections to them internally from a single front end proxy implemented
with either apache or squid.  The front end proxy can service many virtual
domains with a single external IP.

Presumably something similar would be possible with incoming smtp, but I
haven't yet set that up.

For ssh access to the jail environments it is easiest to set up on
separate ports.  I've wondered about setting up user accounts which
immediately exec a second internal ssh connection to the appropriate jail
using a key based login, but I don't know quite enough about whether
there are ways to subvert this.

Andrew McNaughton