Date:      Wed, 03 Mar 1999 17:04:33 +0000
From:      Jerry Hicks <jhicks@glenatl.glenayre.com>
To:        chris@calldei.com
Cc:        Tim Tsai <tim@futuresouth.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using Linux libraries

> On Tue, Mar 2, 1999, Tim Tsai put this into my mailbox:
> > We currently have a Linux box running Sybase's client software (as
> > libraries).  The box also runs Perl with the DBI::Sybase interface and
> > sqsh, both using these libraries.
> >
> > Is there anyway I can get this whole environment to work under FreeBSD
> > (any version)? I guess for sqsh, I should be able to run it under the
> > Linux emulation (it doesn't need any other files other than the library).
> > What about the Linux perl?
> >
> > Lastly, any chance of cross compiling for the Linux environment using
> > FreeBSD - otherwise we'll have to keep the Linux box around just for
> > development.
>
>    This belongs in FreeBSD-questions (Cc:ed there).
>
>    Firstly, I'm not sure if Sybase supports FreeBSD.  Is their
> software open source?

No.  But it's good that someone should try to get it
running under emulation;  This could help coax SQL-Server
devotees over to FreeBSD.

>    Secondly, Perl is not machine-specific.

No, but Sybase's extensions to Perl need access to
binary libraries which are machine specific.

Give Sybase a try under Linux emulation if possible,
I'd be very interested in hearing your results and
will try to offer a hand in case of difficulties.

Good Luck,

Jerry Hicks
wghicks@bellsouth.net