Date:      Sun, 4 Apr 1999 10:52:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      parag@codegen.com
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports/10945: X11 "sessreg" program does not update /var/run/utmp file

>Number:         10945
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       X11 "sessreg" program does not update /var/run/utmp file
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:

	X11R6 package from XFree86 3.3.3.1 binaries off of FreeBSD 3.1
	March 1999 CD-ROM (Walnut Creek)

	The X11 "sessreg" program does not update the /var/run/utmp
	file, even when run as root.  It is handy to register the
	virtual-console being used by xdm when someone logs in.

>How-To-Repeat:

	The following line from the "sessreg" man-page fails to work:

	    sessreg -a -l $DISPLAY -x /usr/X11R6/lib/xdm/Xservers $USER
	    who

	Something simpler like this also fails:

	    sessreg -a -l ttyv3 bozo
	    who

>Fix:

	I think the UTMP support needs to be switched on when compiling
	this file.  The file "xdm/sessreg.c" seems to turn off UTMP
	support for CSRG_BASED builds.  I think that commenting out this
	line should make it work again.