Date:      Sun, 11 Oct 1998 17:55:53 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TEAC CD-R55S not recognized as worm, hacked a bit, but still doesn't work

J Wunsch wrote...
> As Andreas Klemm wrote:
>
> > Finally I bought a TEAC CD burner. Had not much time to look,
> > if it's good supported under FreeBSD, and since it was a gift
> > from a company, I hoped that it rocks well...
>
> Your way didn't have much of a chance to succeed.  In order to add
> support for a new drive to worm(4), you need a little more information
> about the drive.
>
> Stay with cdrecord by now.  Kenneth Merry (sp?) once told me that he's
> going to move worm(4) to CAM some day, this will also be a good chance
> to rethink some of the original design ideas, and at least the SCSI-3
> MMC standard should be supported then, too.  (When worm(4) was
> written, there was no sign of any common standard among the CD-R drive
> vendors).

Yeah, I've got a CAM port of the worm(4) driver 70% written, but it struck
me that that probably wasn't the right thing to do.  (to just blindly port
it without re-thinking it)

It'll certainly take some thought to figure out how to best support CD-R,
CD-RW, and DVD drives natively.  I'm pretty sure the support for these
drives will probably be through the CD driver, though, and not a worm
driver.  The "easy" thing to do will be to support the newer drives that
conform to the standards, but the more difficult thing to do will be to
figure out whether to bother with supporting the older drives that don't
really conform to any standards.

For now, cdrecord supports a far broader range of hardware than even the
old scsi layer supported.  (it only supported HP/Philips and Plasmon
drives)

> Given all the other TODO's with CAM, i guess this won't happen really
> soon now.

Right.  I'm not sure when this will happen.  My post-3.0 roadmap is a bit
fuzzy right now, so I definitely can't say when it'll happen.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com