Date:      Tue, 4 Jul 1995 14:43:51 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   BSD/OS compatability - current status?

Greetings O wizardly ones;

I recall some time ago, a discussion about BSD/OS compatability, and recent
problems with same.

I'm currently mentoring a BBS sysadmin, who is keen to use FreeBSD in
conjunction with his current Galacticomm BBS system.  He is also aware
that Gcomm have a BSD/OS version of the BBS, and wants to know if it's
possible to run this under FBSD.  Gcomm's BSD/OS version is for 1.1,
and AFAIK 1.1 executables run fine under FreeBSD, but naturally it'd
be nice to be _sure_ before recommending he go & spend that sort of money.

(He was also interested to know whether it would be feasible to port
the BBS to FreeBSD.  Apparently it's written for BC++ using a proprietary
kernel, but most/all of the source is available.  If someone with c++
and DOS->unix migration experience is looking for a project that would
be a great feather in the FreeBSD cap, this sure qualifies.  Source seems
to be availble, contact me & I'll pass you on if you're interested.)

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[