Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2000 16:42:05 +1100
From:      Jonathan Michaels <jon@welearn.com.au>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppp(8) or mpd by whistle ?

all,

hopefully this, is the right place for this topic ?

after may years of ms dos based uucp and 3 plus using the
kernel pppd i figure its time for a change. well, that and i'd
a better level of debuging/logging than is currently available
from kernel pppd(8). i like the way logging and the various
types of same that is possible to get from the userland
version (and also exists in mpd, from doc's i've read).

also i've got a recurrant and mysterious drop carrier every
couple of days no rhyme or reason, just a note in the logs and
a restart by kernel ppp ... at 25 cents a pop it can be quite
annoying. here in australia we get charged 25 cents per
connection fro our 'local' call, and its then "all you can eat"
fro your local call connection fee.

i've started to read about netgraph and like the idea, also
that mpd is based on netgraph, so this would be a
familiarisation process as well .. anyway i've rattled on for
long enough.

any war stories about mpd useage, abuse, reliability, relative
ease of use configurability, etc, etc, would be apreciated.

warm regards

jonathan

long time unix'ish user, still green around the gills in freebsd