Date:      Wed, 13 Aug 1997 00:16:53 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Bernie Doehner <bad@uhf.wireless.net>
Cc:        Kyle Mestery <mestery@winternet.com>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Excellence in the FreeBSD camp!

Hi,

> > Well, I have great news to report!  Both my fxtv and xquake with sound now
> > work!!!!  The problem with fxtv was the tuner problem.  I had to follow
> > problem I have noticed in fxtv is that only certain channels seem to work.
> > I remember seeing a document somewhere talking about this.  Anyone know
> > what could be wrong or where that document is?  Thanks again!
> >

> What do you mean doesn't work? Just snow, or just a lack of sync hold? Are
> you watching on a CATV system or over the air? I found my Wincast to be
> pretty deaf and in need of a preamp before I ended up using my VCR as a
> tuner front end.

I have found that there is TERRIBLE quaility control on these things,
often just replacing the card with another fixes it.  If you not in a fringe
reception area, I would consider returning it for a replacement if possible.
I found the hauppauge to be more reliable than the STB, but I think the issue
might be philips being better than temic. but these are just gut feelings
from feedback of users when I was coding/debugging the tuner code.  I know
the STB I bought had a crappy tuner, but the hauppauge I replaced it with
works flawlessly.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by