Date:      Mon, 19 Mar 2012 09:42:32 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        Kai Gallasch <gallasch@free.de>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: amd64/164773: [boot] 9.0 amd64 fails to boot on HP DL145 G3 [regression]

On Saturday, March 17, 2012 10:54:02 am Kai Gallasch wrote:

> Am 15.03.2012 um 14:33 schrieb John Baldwin:
>
> > On Wednesday, March 14, 2012 6:40:03 am Kai Gallasch wrote:
> >> The following reply was made to PR amd64/164773; it has been noted by
GNATS.

> >> From: Kai Gallasch <gallasch@free.de>
> >> To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org,
> >> jshupe@hermetek.com
> >> Subject: Re: amd64/164773: [boot] 9.0 amd64 fails to boot on HP DL145 G3
> > [regression]
> >> Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 11:25:10 +0100
> >>
> >> Booting the DL145 G3 with disabled ehci in GENERIC kernel changes =
> >> nothing, the boot process still times out with
> >> "mount waiting for: usbus1 usbus0"
> >
> > Hmm, if you are still able to try, it would be interesting to build a
kernel
> > without USB at all to see if it can boot ok.  Also, it might be good to
break
> > into DDB in a kernel with USB enabled and run 'show intrcnt' to see if the
USB
> > devices are seeing any interrupts.
>
> I installed 8.3 on this server and did a makeworld into 9.0 REL (GENERIC
kernel without USB support)

> Now the bootup from drom disk stops with the message:
> "Entropy harvesting: interrupts ethernet point_to_point"
> and I cannot enter DDB (vga console, ctrl-alt-esc), although it is compiled
into the kernel.

> However. I have the option to boot into single-user, before "Entropy
harvesting: interrupts ethernet point_to_point" shows up.

> FYI: Additionally I tried to boot the 9.0-RELEASE-AMD64 memstick on another
HP/Compaq server (DL385 G2) and the bootup also stops with the same "mount
waiting for: usbus1 usbus0" message, as the DL145G3 does.

> Is DDB active on the 9.0-RELEASE-AMD64 memstick?

Hmm, I'm not sure if it is.  If it isn't, you can build a 9.0 kernel that
contains DDB and replace the kernel image on the memstick with that from
another machine.

--
John Baldwin