Date:      Tue, 31 Aug 2010 14:30:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@hergotha.csail.mit.edu>
To:        andre@freebsd.org
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removal of deprecated implied connect for TCP

In article <4C7D02BB.40300@freebsd.org> andre@freebsd.org writes:

>sendto() will not be touched or modified.  It's just that on a TCP socket
>the tcp protocol will not perform an implied connect anymore.  The only thing
>that changes is TCP dropping a deprecated and experimental extension and
>behaving like every other UNIXy OS.

That's a little bit disingenuous, methinks.  Support for the
"deprecated and experimental extension" -- RFC 1644 -- was dropped a
number of years ago.  (Longer ago than I can easily recall.)  The
implict open/close mechanism is orthogonal to the long-gone support
for RFC 1644.  There may be good reasons to remove it anyway, but
please don't claim that the status of RFC 1644 has anyting to do with
it.

-GAWollman