Date:      Sat, 15 Nov 1997 13:53:51 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, mouth@ibm.net
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status of 650 UART support

>>interrupts need to be reenabled on the polled ports as soon as =
>everything
>> in them is polled
>
>Only if your clock interrupt is too slow.  But I wanted to change that

It is too slow (10 msec).

>Would it be feasible to tick the clock every 1ms to schedule UART
>polling and on every fifth tick run the usual kernel scheduling?

There would be no point interrupting 10 times as often just to poll twice
as often.  Polling every 1ms tick would be often enough for there to
be almost no need for serial input interrupts or auto RTS flow control
at 115200 bps (since 14 character times is 1.216ms which is slightly
more than the polling interval).  OTOH, the polling routines can't be
guaranteed to run (at low priority) every 1ms - even the current 10ms
can't be guaranteed - so auto RTS flow control would still be necessary.

I think this would be a pessimization in practice.  First you waste
cycles processing more clock interrupts, then you waste more by polling
more often.

Bruce