Date:      Wed, 08 Mar 2000 13:45:07 -0700
From:      Darren Wiebe <dkwiebe@hagenhomes.com>
To:        Sebhat_Tenna <stenna@foxinternet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Very New User....

Hello:

Sebhat_Tenna wrote:

> I am 17 and have been a Windows user since I started to use PCs 1 1/2 years
> ago. I have never used UNIX. I have taught myself Java programming for 3 or
> so months, and I am learning C++ now.
> I just ordered FreeBSD 3.4 Power Pack.

Good start.  I grew up on MS-DOS, win31, win95.  I am just in the process of
starting to learn C.

> My questions are:
> 1)Does it take a computer scientist to install it?

No, I was 17 also and almost brand new to unix when I did my first install.

> 2)What are the major benefits of UNIX over Windows NT?

I'm afraid I've never used WinNT

> 3)I hear UNIX is open source. What does this mean? Can I change my
> operating system? Is my operating system one big application to be tinkered
> with?

Yes, and yes, have fun playing with it.

> 4)Can I get software for UNIX for a reasonable price(word processors,
> editors, compilers, etc...)? I mean, do many people use UNIX? If so, who?

You can get all you need for FREE, or at least almost everything.  StarOffice
is similar to MS Office and is available for nothing.  Editors and compilers
come with FreeBSD.

> 5)I hear UNIX has a big following with crackers and hackers. I don't want
> to be a hacker or anything, but they are the ones that seem to know the
> most. Can I be part of their group to learn about UNIX and programming with
> out being dubbed a hacker and end up on the eleven o'clock news? Will they
> receive me with open arms or shun me?

This group kind of frowns upon the modern definition of hackers.  There are a
lot of people here that know an awful lot, I really covet some of their
knowledge, that would not dream of doing something really illegal or unethical.

> thanks allot
> showing

Darren Wiebe
dkwiebe@hagenhomes.com