Date:      Thu, 2 Mar 1995 15:24:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        roberto@blaise.ibp.fr, hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ASUS motherboard

> > I don't have first hand experience with this board, as I was waiting for
> > the new PCI/I-P54TP4/90 which just came in FedX today.  This is the newer
> > board based upon the Intel Triton chip set, I'll let the list know how it
> > tests out.
>
> Woo!  I am *definitely* interested in that one..  We have 5 of the ASUS
> based machines now and I'm considering building another one but will hold
> off until you deliver your verdict.

Unfortanetly I won't be able to stress it too much, I don't own any EDO
simms which is one of the things that should make this board faster than
the Neptune chip set.  It also came in the standard SRAM cache instead of
the burst/sync cache and you can't field upgrade it.

> As far as the Bt controllers go, I have to say that they're still a
> little twitchy, even with the latest firmware revision (4.21 I
> believe?) and I, too, have the problem where the machine hangs on
> reboot after running the Bt's BIOS.  It only happens occasionally
> enough to be annoying, not to fix! :-)

This is not a problem on ``reboot'' it is a power up problem, you can't
even get to the system BIOS :-(.  I didn't play with it much, I will when
I get a chance.  It really looks to be a hard lockup of the machine, heck
my #9GXE led even stays red :-(.