Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 1999 07:53:26 -0700
From:      Chris Tubutis <chris@tci.com>
To:        "Jukka A. Ukkonen" <jau@jau.tmt.tele.fi>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Odd netscape-communicator-4.5 crash when clicking mailto-anchors

"Jukka A. Ukkonen" wrote:

>         Howdy!
>
>         Has anyone else seen this happen with communicator-4.5 when
>         clicking mailto-anchors?
>
>    400 communicator-4.5 PSIG SIGALRM caught handler=0x9067b0 mask=0x0 code=0x0
>    400 communicator-4.5 CALL  gettimeofday(0xefbfbb4c,0)
>    400 communicator-4.5 RET   gettimeofday 0
>    400 communicator-4.5 CALL  sigreturn(0xefbfbbe8)
>    400 communicator-4.5 RET   sigreturn JUSTRETURN
>    400 communicator-4.5 PSIG SIGALRM caught handler=0x9067b0 mask=0x0 code=0x0
>    400 communicator-4.5 CALL  gettimeofday(0xefbfbacc,0)
>    400 communicator-4.5 RET   gettimeofday 0
>    400 communicator-4.5 CALL  sigreturn(0xefbfbb68)
>    400 communicator-4.5 RET   sigreturn JUSTRETURN
>    400 communicator-4.5 PSIG SIGSEGV caught handler=0x908620 mask=0x0 code=0xc
>    400 communicator-4.5 CALL  getpid
>    400 communicator-4.5 RET   getpid 400/0x190
>    400 communicator-4.5 CALL  kill(0x190,0xa)
>    400 communicator-4.5 PSIG  SIGBUS SIG_DFL
>    400 communicator-4.5 NAMI  "communicator-4.5.core"
>
>         First it gets a segmentation violation, tries to recover from
>         that one, and immediately (and rightfully) gets also a bus error.
>
>         In general it is rather hard to recover from SIGSEGV, because
>         there is nothing much else to do, but a stack unwind, which
>         may fail, because the stack frames are already messed up.
>         So, the second SIGBUS is to be expected, but why does it generate
>         the SIGSEGV?
>
>         Oops, I almost forgot this, but the binary is the one available
>         among 2.2.8 packages at ftp.freebsd.org. I did not compile it
>         locally myself.
>
>         Any tips and ideas would be welcome.

I think this is a known bug at Netscape - at least it is with the Solaris
version.  The workaround is to first open up the mail/news reader before
clicking any mailto links.  The number of bugs in Netscape is atrocious
enough that I often use lynx for Web browsing.  With AOL buying it, I
don't know that the situation will get any better....

ct