Date:      Sat, 30 Sep 1995 09:44:05 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        julian@ref.tfs.com (Julian Elischer), hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1 will require a minimum of 8MB for installation.

> For some machines (e.g. laptops) it is too expensive to add memory,
> often they use special modules or just don't have the slots.  I
> think we can manage by making it not too hard for 4MB users to
> build their own boot floppy (on a guest system, if it cannot be
> supplied as default).

Alternately, and I'm not fundamentally opposed to this, if someone out
there wants to sit down and build a boot floppy that WILL work in 4MB
by ripping some large piece of its component anatomy out, well, I
certainly won't stand in their way and will even go as far as sticking
it on the CDROM and the FTP areas with a little note to the effect
that it's to be considered a solution of last resort for 4MB folks.

I just don't want to have to go down that road myself - I have too
many larger install issues to worry about between now and next Sunday.

					Jordan