Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 1995 22:28:14 -0400
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Interesting SCSI cdrom problem..

I have a NEC 3xP - which is/was their "personal" SCSI CD-ROM.

It's nice enough and seems fast...

However, I notice that when the disk spins down; from lack of an
access in a few minutes; there doesn't seem to be anything I can
do to spin it up again, except to umount the drive and re-mount it.

Or - it's possible that the scenario is that if I mount the drive,
then open the door (which you have to do so see if the drive is spinning)
then re-close the door - that resets the drive, but isn't reflected
in the "mount".

What usually happens is that future accesses to the files (unless
they were cached) causes I/O errors.

(Well - I think I've empirically determined it's situation #2 - if you
leave the CD in the drive, and wait - the drive does spin down.  As long
as you don't open the drive door, everything is fine.  If you open,
then close, the drive door - the mount is still present, and you get I/O
errors.)

	- Dave Rivers -