Date:      Fri, 27 Mar 1998 17:15:30 -0500
From:      "Larry S. Marso" <larry@marso.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   [larry@marso.com: Re: Jazz Drive, removing read-only]

--keVEW9yuYc//A+q3

Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 17:14:54 -0500
From: "Larry S. Marso" <larry@marso.com>
To: Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
Subject: Re: Jazz Drive, removing read-only
x-no-archive: yes

You're a godsend, Jaye.  You have, indeed, provided a complete, workable
solution.  I did see your earlier postings, but must have made a mistake
when I attempted the procedure.

scsiformat -w /dev/sd0

indeed wiped clean the R/O attribute.  Using the /stand/sysinstall index
entries for partition and for labeling, I have created a single partition
successfully, and am now writing a new (1GB!) file system.

My sincere thanks.  My jazz drive was beginning to collect dust; I had
thought it might become simply an artifact of incompatability!

Best regards
--
Larry S. Marso
larry@marso.com

On Fri, Mar 27, 1998 at 01:36:45PM -0800, Jaye Mathisen wrote:

> I have posted this answer several times, it is in the archives.
>
> IN any case, just slap the disk in your drive, and run scsiformat -w
> on it and low level format it.  That will wipe out whatever it
> is on there that makes it look R/O.
>
> There may be a simpler solution, but sometimes a sledgehammer is easiest.
>
> On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Larry S. Marso wrote:
>
> > I've spent a while slogging through all the Jazz related articles in the      > > FreeBSD archives, and some linux sites.

--keVEW9yuYc//A+q3--