Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 2004 10:15:40 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Andrew Belashov <bel@orel.ru>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: panic: ipi_send: couldn't send ipi

--6c2NcOVqGQ03X4Wi

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 11:55:38AM +0400, Andrew Belashov wrote:
> Kris Kennaway wrote:
> >>Thank you very much for testing this out.
> >>
> >>Unless someone thinks this would be a problem I'll wait another couple
> >>of days and if nobody else has any further input I'll leave the existing
> >>code as-is but bump the max retries to 5000 for the 5.3 release.  I'm
> >>still curious about what the underlying problem is but it'll take some
> >>time to track down I think.  I did manage to find a machine to test
> >>this on late yesterday and some initial attempts at triggering the
> >>problem by generating a lot of disk I/O didn't seem to trigger it.
> >>
> >>Your case seems to be a bit extreme - I'm wondering if it has something
> >>to do with the Creator 3D.  I don't think it is the only thing that can
> >>cause the problem to crop up but it might be something that makes the
> >>situation "worse".
> >>
> >>Kris, was your problem machine one of the machines here?
> >

> >I don't remember if any of those were SMP, but this was on phk's dual
> >u60.  I applied the patch in PR 66314, and while I haven't had a
> >repeat of the ipi panic, it did fall over with one of the other panics
> >I regularly see on this machine.  Also, jhb seemed to think there was
> >an underlying MI problem, and this patch would only delay the
> >occurence of the panic.
> >
> >Kris
>=20
> The problem does not arise in the following cases:
> kernel build without SMP option;
> kernel running on uniprocessor machine (with or without SMP option).

Well, Inter-Processor Interrupts do only occur when you are using
multiple processors ;-)

> The problem is somehow related to Creator 3D.

I don't use the console much on the machine where I get the panic (and
I don't have syscons or the creator driver compiled in), so all it
receives is the output of syslogd via the ofw console.

> To reproduce problem I use any program, that generate large output.
> For example: "ls -laR /"

Kris

--6c2NcOVqGQ03X4Wi

--6c2NcOVqGQ03X4Wi--