Date:      Fri, 30 Jul 1999 22:04:01 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        Ben Hanham <Ben.Hanham@ultramail.co.uk>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel Support for Soundblaster

Ben Hanham:
 |   I`m trying to get to grips with freebsd 2.2.7 - I`m afraid I`m new to
 |   unix and not really sure how it all works yet.  I`ve been trying to
 |   add SoundBlaster support to my kernel with the following lines:
 |
 |   controller          snd0
 |   device sb0        at isa? port 0x220 irq 5  drq 1 vector sbintr
 |   options            SBC_IRQ=5
 |   device sbxvi0    at isa? drq 5
 |   device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x330
 |
 |   This however generates several error messages when the system boots:
 |
 |   sb0 not found at 0x220
 |   sbxvi0 not found
 |   sbmidi0 not found at 0x330
 |
 |   I know for a fact the SoundBlaster is at accessible for port 220h from
 |   using the card in a dos/windows environment.

It's sounding like a Plug-n-Pray card.  See what kind of mileage you can
get off these page:

    http://www.naklab.dnj.ynu.ac.jp/~tanimura/awepnp-freebsd.html
    http://www.dons.net.au/~darius/awe64.html

In particular, setting up userconfig and doing:

    pnp 1 0 enable os port0 0x220 port1 0x330 port2 0x388 irq0 5 drq0 1 drq1 5
    pnp 1 1 enable os port0 0x200

Ignore the AWE-specific stuff.

Randall