Date:      Mon, 25 Dec 1995 11:02:29 +0100 (MET)
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov (Chris Shenton)
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1-RELEASE install -- login causes "out of swap"

It seems that Chris Shenton said:
> 	swap_pager: out of space
>
> The login fails, both for (currently password-less) root as well as
> the single (passworded) user account I created.

You probably forgot to set up the swap space or  the system is unable to do
a "swapon" on it. Boot single user with "-s" at the "Boot:" prompt and have
a look at /etc/fstab. you should have at least one line like the following:

# Swap slices
/dev/sd0b	swap			none	sw
/dev/sd2b	swap			none	sw

If not, then  you must re-disklabel the disk  with one swap partition.  The
label line should be like the following:

#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  b:    65536   782336      swap                    	# (Cyl.  382 - 413)

If you don't have  any free partition or  blocks, you'll have to define one
on another disk or reinstall.

If you're sure you defined one  swap partition, look  if /etc/fstab has the
good partition letter or   that the swap  partition  does not overlap  with
another.

If you   want to modify  /etc/fstab  in single  user   mode, you'll have to
remount "/" read-write with the following command:

/sbin/mount -u /

or

/sbin/mount -u /dev/sd0a (or wd0a)      if your fstab is empty

Good luck... and Merry Xmas to all BTW :-)
--
Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.frmug.fr.net
   FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 2.2-CURRENT #8: Sat Dec 23 21:44:39 MET 1995