Date:      Sat, 18 Feb 2012 09:08:38 +0700
From:      Erich Dollansky <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, david.robison@fisglobal.com
Subject:   Re: One or Four?

Hi,

On Saturday 18 February 2012 05:05:23 Robison, Dave wrote:

> It has always been FreeBSD's default to create four partitions and swap
> as such:
>
> /
> /tmp
> /var
> /usr
> swap

it really makes sense to keep it this way.

> The recent changes in 9.x with bsdinstall use a default behavior which
> creates only one partition and swap, with everything living under a
> single "/" partition as such:
>
> /
> swap

Can you offer an option for beginners to get this schema installed?

I have had bad experiences with Windows running all on a single partition including swap.

FreeBSD always reboots no matter how screwed the /usr file system got. It does not matter if it is just full or damages for some other reason. At the least the machine is up and running and it is possible to fix the damaged partition.

How should it be possible to mount root as read only if root contains /usr?

I think that there are many more reasons why at least / has to stay separated from /usr.

> Let the majority decide which layout is preferred for the default.

When will the result be published?

Erich