Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 2020 14:52:15 -0500
From:      George Mitchell <george+freebsd@m5p.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD raspberry pi C compiler strangeness

--c5O4SWNqSVbk8MPOvcVhKGv4ob2EiyxSS
From: George Mitchell <george+freebsd@m5p.com>
To: freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org

--cXUVnWJFVCYLVeQ23Srf0J5tu9XT06eoR

On 2020-02-26 14:45, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> i wrote my program and tested completely my program on x64 laptop under=

> FreeBSD 11
>=20
> then i compiled this program under FreeBSD on raspberry pi (quite lates=
> version downloaded less than 2 months ago).
>=20
> And program didn't work properly.
>=20
> Finally i found a problem.
>=20
> char is signed by default on x64.
>=20
> On raspberry pi char is unsigned by default.
> replacing "char" with "signed char" fixed problem completely.
>=20
> Why char is unsigned on FreeBSD/raspberry pi?
> [...]

Because the C standard explicitly doesn't say.  The standard DOES
explicitly say that char, signed char, and unsigned char are
considered to be three distinct types, no two of which are
necessarily comparable.  The bottom line is that you are asking for
trouble by ever specifying "char" as a type, and you should always
specify either "signed char" "unsigned char" as appropriate for
the given situation.                                  -- George