Date:      Mon, 04 Jun 2012 13:20:21 -0500
From:      Bryan Drewery <bryan@shatow.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC] last(1) with security.bsd.see_other_uids support

--------------enig1516D44EF4348E22ACAD7A95

On 6/4/2012 8:17 AM, Bryan Drewery wrote:
>=20
>=20
> On 6/4/2012 4:42 AM, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
>> A library is definiately a better place, although then I wouldn't pass=

>> see_other_uids as an argument, but obtain it within the function itsel=
f.
>=20
> Does libc make sense for this? I'm thinking yes since it's where the ut=
> functions live.
>=20
> In particular this change seems to make sense in getutxent(3).
>=20
> Though I do not want to violate POSIX...
>=20
>      The endutxent(), getutxent(), getutxid(), getutxline() and setutxe=
nt()
>      functions are expected to conform to IEEE Std 1003.1-2008
> (``POSIX.1'').
>=20

Found this [1]:

    An implementation that provides extended security controls may
    impose implementation-defined restrictions on accessing the user
    accounting database. In particular, the system may deny the
    existence of some or all of the user accounting database entries
    associated with users other than the caller.

So POSIX allows this.

I will proceed and submit another patch for review soon.

Regards,
Bryan Drewery
bdrewery@freenode, bryan@EFNet

[1] http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/getutxid.htm=