Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 2002 18:45:22 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely5.cicely.de>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: machine checks on a AlphaPC 164LX

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 09:20:58AM -0400, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> Andrew Gallatin writes:
>  >
>  > I've got a PC164LX which will crash with a machine check under heavy
>  > disk IO to its on-board CMD 646 ATA controller.
>
> <..>
>
>  > db> tr
>  > Debugger() at Debugger+0x2c
>  > panic() at panic+0x100
>  > machine_check() at machine_check+0x1f0
>  > interrupt() at interrupt+0x198
>  > XentInt() at XentInt+0x28
>  > --- interrupt (from ipl 4) ---
>  > cia_bwx_inb() at cia_bwx_inb+0x24
>  > ata_dmastatus() at ata_dmastatus+0x30
>
> <..>
>
>  > I'm starting to think that this might be just a sick motherboard.  Does
>  > anybody else have any feelings about this?
>  >

> The truely scary thing is that using swiz chipset access, rather the
> bwx chipset access seems to stablize the machine.
>
> I still think I'm going to put it down to a sick motherboard, but
> I wonder if there's a chance there's something wrong with our CIA bwx
> code....

I have an ide drive connected on my PC164:
atapci0: <CMD 646 ATA controller> port 0x10380-0x1038f irq 5 at device 11.0 on pci0
ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
ata0: interrupting at ISA irq 14
ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
ata1: interrupting at ISA irq 15
ad0: 1219MB <Conner Peripherals 1275MB - CFS1275A> [2477/16/63] at ata0-master WDMA2
hw.chipset.type: cia/bwx
hw.chipset.bwx: 1

No problems so far with all OS versions I'd ever run.
But I'm running -current (9th July) and rarely use the drive.
I have no idea how different the PC164 is from the PC164LX beside
the memory interface and the higher CPU clockrates.
Note that PC164 boards on 4.x are running swiz due to a bug you had
fixed for -current.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de