Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2002 23:02:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1011495400.d584c1@mired.org>
Cc:        Alex.Wilkinson@dsto.defence.gov.au, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Super Block

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Mike Meyer wrote:

> > What does the SuperBlock actually do ?
> > Why is the SuperBlock so critical ?
> >
> > Can anyone give me a *good* summary on the purpose of the Super Block ?
> > And/Or any recommendations ?
>
> man fs. That will show you what's actually in the superblock, as well
> as a longer description.
>
> One-sentence summary of why it's important: It where you start when
> you want to find a file in the file system.

Suppose you overwrite a disklabel and haven't made a copy; if you
can access the slice and you want to write a new disklabel, is
there any way to find out where the superblocks are?

I damaged a disklabel (but have another installation of FreeBSD on
the same IDE hard drive) and would like to rewrite the disklabel, of
which I don't have a copy.

The a partition shows up and I can write a file to use to label
the disk; it was partitioned into a, b, and e (/ and swap and /usr).
I can even "swapon" the b swap. However I don't seem to get the
sizes right so that the superblock is found by e, and fsck refuses
to run, because it can't find the superblock.

Any solutions, other than being more careful with disklabels and
making copies of them?

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC