Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 08:41:13 +0100
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
To:        Dan Moschuk <dan@freebsd.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, shin@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: -current, ep and fragment problems.

[cc:'d shin]

-On [20000324 00:04], Dan Moschuk (dan@freebsd.org) wrote:

>Is anyone else seeing odd behaviour with a fairly recent -current, an ep
>driver nic card and fragmented packets?

Yes.  And add to that a fxp card as well next to the ep card.

For some weird reason (almost) every packet or datagram which gets
fragmented because it is larger than the MTU will have problems.

This causes tcp stalls.  80% packetloss when pinging a 3.4-S host across
a WAN with a packetsize of 1600 bytes.

I am using natd.  Mayhaps unrelated but my firewall rules give me:

00000 divert 8668 ip from any to any via fxp0
ip_fw_ctl: invalid command
ipfw: setsockopt(IP_FW_ADD): Invalid argument
00100 allow ip from any to any via lo0

nowadays with my March 19th kernel/userland.

A few weeks before this upgrade, when I was still 4.0-CURRENT, this
whole set-up worked fine.

The ep0 card which is also in this machine serves my LAN.  If I try to
use the cvs pserver on this box from another box (ep0 -> fxp0 / 5.0 ->
4.0) It will work up until a moment where nothing less of a ifconfig
down/up of the ep0 driver will help.

But that's different from the fxp0 case with the natd.

Just to be sure:

WAN---ISDN router---(natd)fxp0(daemon)ep0---3Com hub---fxp0(celestial)

--
Jeroen Ruigrok vd Werven/Asmodai    asmodai@[wxs.nl|bart.nl|freebsd.org]
Documentation nutter/C-rated Coder BSD: Technical excellence at its best